With a focus on lifelong education, NETI offers courses, workshops and projects for older people, aiming at their learning update and social integration. The center – which serves as a reference for undergraduate and graduate studies – also provides advisory and consulting services to the community through partnerships with governmental and non-governmental entities.
- To expand and systematize the knowledge of gerontology;
- To develop human resources at various levels;
- To perform interdisciplinary teaching, research and outreach activities;
- To disseminate and develop institutional and inter-institutional actions;
- To assist entities in the organization of programs for the appreciation of older people;
- To give contributions for a policy of rescuing the role of older people in Brazilian society;
- To conduct gerontology trainings, lectures and counseling.
NETI activities are based on the following principles:
- Human beings constitute themselves in the world;
- Human beings are able to learn during their whole existence;
- Older people are valued when their potential is recognized and their responsible and participatory engagement is encouraged in society;
- The raising of older people’s awareness as regards the renewing action in the area of gerontology makes them agents par excellence in helping to equate Brazilian social issues.
To rediscover, recreate, systematize and socialize gerontological knowledge with a view to developing activities that place older people as subjects in transformation and as transforming agents both in the academic and the community environment.
To learn more, visit NETI website: http://neti.ufsc.br/